History  

The beginnings of the study of biosciences and psychology at Leipzig University can be traced back to the 19th century. In 1878 the Zoology-Zootomy Institute was founded and Wilhelm Wundt established the first Institute for Experimental Psychology at the University of Leipzig.

The Faculties, Institutes and Professorships at Leipzig University changed their structure several times over the course of time. In 1968, for example, the third Higher Education Reform in the former GDR changed the University’s structure. The faculty, as the basic unit in the University’s organizational structure, ceased to exist and was replaced by the “Department” (Sektion). The former Institutes of Botany, Zoology and Pharmaceutics merged and became the Department of Biosciences (Sektion Biowissenschaften). The former Institute of Psychology was incorporated into what was then the Department of Pedagogy and Psychology (Sektion Pädagogik/ Psychologie). Later, in 1975, the Department of Psychology was established as a department in its own right.

Founded in 1994, today’s Faculty of Life Sciences emerged from the departments of biosciences and psychology. They had in turn evolved from the departments of biosciences and psychology established in the former GDR.

Restructuring within the faculty and its institutes in 2004 led to their present structure.

Since its foundation, the faculty has also invested in its facilities. Between 2000-2005, its facilities on Brüderstraße, Talstraße and Johannisallee have been reconstructed; the research and teaching environment and facilities, both scholarly and practical, for the study of fields pertaining to biosciences and pharmaceutics have been enhanced significantly.

Since its foundation in 1994, 500 students have successfully completed our doctoral degree programme and 35 researchers have completed a Habilitation at our faculty.


last update: 29.09.2017